Monday, December 19, 2005

It’s 8:09 in the evening, I’m home and I just got back from the church. I was late again damn. Today is the Otaku Zine fest and our Alumni Homecoming at MDC. I didn’t attend any. Instead, I stayed here the whole day and watched Anime videos. Now I’m starting to get back my previous otaku life hahaha. It’s not good when I stay home the whole day, I’m a BIG couch potato hehehe. Anyways, I finally saw Gainax’ “Otaku No Video”. I thought it was a movie but it was actually a 2-shot OVA. The story revolves around Kubo, an average Highschooler, whose Otaku instinct instigated when he met a long time otaku Tanaka. Basically the video speaks the unusual life of an otaku. In between each chapter are live interviews with real life otaku. I really enjoyed this video though I felt that the story is a little exaggerated, it’s still a fiction after all. Hmmm, from what I’ve seen, "Real 0takus" aren’t so bad. I mean, they are often described as having no social functions. But I was stunned to find out that majority of the subjects interviewed are employed. I was a little struck when the first Otaku interviewed was asked whether he has real friends. It took him time to answer. He even sarcastically replied “how dare you ask me something like that” in the end, he wasn’t sure either… Instead he said, during his Highschool, in the club he joined (an SF Club), he had the time of his life. He barely have communication with his club buddies but he seems satisfied with his experience. Somehow it made me think do I really have “true friends”… somehow I felt like I’m being in the same shoes as he is. But No, I’m a lot different… I know, definitely, I have real friends, although I can’t feel them at this point in time. Everybody is busy to listen to my sighs, besides, I myself would hold back to open up… But I know, if the time comes that I’d need a hand, somebody would definitely extend his/hers… I am happy for all the excitement and enthusiasm my otakuness had given me, although sometimes, I feel like having no social function at all. Up to now, it still doesn't occur to me that I should be able to do something, in my own little way, for the society... Also, in the various interviews, it seems that most male otakus are still virgin hahaha… it’s rare nowadays for a 20+ male to be “pure”… but these otakus are contented with their “virtual” koibito… hmmm sounds familiar, really… anyways, it’s really a must for every otaku to watch that video.

Then, finally, I finished Tsubasa Chronicles series! As usual, it’s still half-baked. In relation to manga, their last quest was in the land of Outo (hmm, speaking of virtual huh) but the anime ended in a desert-like land, where there is a floating temple, and it was foretold that the first one to enter the temple will have his wish granted. Residents attempted to enter the temple which resulted to unexpected deaths. Well, of course our heroes were able to got in. Sakura was the privileged one to make a wish, the others gave way… geez, I thought she’ll ask for the full recovery of her memory since it’s been bothering her, but I was touched (again) that instead she wished for the resurrection of those who died unreasonably for trying to enter the floating temple. I was a bit disappointed, because, damn I’ve been rooting for a faster pace of the story, an alternative (definitel closure) ending would satisfy me, yet, I am happy things turn out that way, because there’ll be 2nd season scheduled anyway, to be aired April next year (whoa, same as XXX Holic?!) according to the fansubbers. Hmmm, I don’t know how reliable this source is, but I’m keeping my hopes up...

By the way, yesterday I watched Chicken Little at Shang Cinema with Mike. It was really cute and funny, I rarely get interested with Disney animation since I got hooked to anime, but Chicken Little’s character design is so cute, it’s so hard to resist hehehe. He reminds me of Momonja, and other Mojacko chara, now that explains it hehehe… Also, RK story figures (series 2 & 3) are on sale. I was able to buy Soujiro for only 225 at Toy Kingdom, while I got the Kenji and Enishi for 500! I suppose they’ll be gone by next year… I hope I could still get the other chara…

No comments: