Saturday, November 03, 2012

Lest we forget...

Finally a big break! Well, it’s not really big, but a one day  vacation leave next to weekend is a bliss and I should use this gift of time to update. Yeah! The truth is, a lot have happened since the last time I posted, but I don’t really have the energy to tell all of them. There were really dark days but I've moved on, we've all moved on and now it’s time to enjoy and celebrate life again.

But today, I want to talk about something timely. We just celebrated All Saints day (Nov.1) and All Souls day (Nov.2). For non-Christians out there, these are day we pay homage to the faithful departed. All Saints day is for the purified souls who are now in heaven. All Souls Day is exclusively for the souls who are in Purgatory, spending time to cleanse and purify themselves, perhaps atoning for the sins they've committed when they were still living. Hell is out of the picture here, it’s a place for pure evil. Here in the Philippines, Catholics observe a joint celebration of All Saints Day and All Souls Day in November 1 by going to the cemetery, bringing in flowers, lightning a candle and offering prayers. For me (and perhaps some), it has also become a subtle excuse for families to get together.

Praying for the dead is a moral obligation of Christians. One way to help the souls in Purgatory purify is through prayers. It’s an obligation that I am more than willing to commit because it’s my way of telling to the dead loved ones that I have not forgotten them. I will never forget. I think that it’s very important for us who are still here to keep on remembering. I believe in life after death and I will be very sad if I would see the people I've loved forget about me. So I’d like to take this moment to think about those I love who have crossed  over to the next life, specially my grandparents. Nanay, Tatay, I dearly miss you…



Eternal rest grant unto them, o Lord, and let perpetual light shine upon them. May the souls of the faithful departed, through the mercy of God, rest in peace. Amen.