Wednesday, February 15, 2012

HAPPY VALENTINES DAY!!!

"This has become a big commercial holiday, it seems that companies are trying to make us believe that the more we spend on our loved ones, the more we love them, and I'm not falling for that" - Ellen Degeneres


Yeah! You nailed it girl! I LOVE ED's outfit here, and the message of the monologue I just have to share this.

And... I wanted to talk about Valentine's day. A friend of mine once told me that she doesn't get the fuss over Valentine's day (she's in a relationship for a long time). My automatic response to this was, it's not about the lovers, it's about Saint Valentine, and she said that's the perspective of single people. Not exactly true, but sure I was bluffing. In all honesty, I don't know anything about St. Valentine. I just learned that he's not just one person, but it's a name for 14 martyred saints of ancient Rome (Thank you Wikipedia!). I don't remember Saint Valentine being discussed in my school years. But it's not about him, or them, the celebration has been deleted from the Roman calendar of saints. It's all about love. But, really, what's the hype all about? It's good for business, but to say we celebrate being in love, shouldn't it be an everyday thing?

But what am I to say? By a single person's perspective (and by single person, I mean me), it's just another pressure to date. As another friend (she's single too) had told me, Valentines is singles awareness day. My dilemma is, I'm 29, and you know, the older you get the higher the pressure. Sometimes I get annoyed on people asking when am I getting married, and I'm like, what are you talking about? I'm not even dating. But the good news is, I'm not giving in to any of that. I admit, I sometimes get lonely being alone. Sometimes I listen to love songs and I find myself wishing I have someone to hold. It's a natural thing, but I'm in no way in a hurry to find someone to celebrate Valentine's day with. I always say, in God's time, I'll find it.

Besides, being single have perks, like I don't have to worry about spending, which is great because this is the time of the year that I'm really broke. But then again, celebrating doesn't mean spending. And love is not just for lovers, but also for friends and family and music boxes. :D

No comments: