Saturday, May 19, 2007

Ahoy! I’ve got good news here. I finally reconciled with Kuya Aris. After months of coldness to one another because of a petty “remark” which I didn’t intend to address, I finally broke the ice. I was very firm of not to initiate talking to him. But when you’re faced with more troubling issues, you tend to forget what your stand is. It’s not like I’m bothered with our situation, but I have a gut feeling that when you’re hated by someone, problems tend to pour on you till you can’t breath. I asked God to keep my parents in good condition and I promised to meek myself. Of course I wouldn’t know if it’d work but it did lift a portion of the burden I’m carrying. And I really hope everything would be okay.

I just finished reading “After Dark” by Haruki Murakami. I would just want to brag that I have the First US edition! Hehehe. Anyway, the book tells the story of 8 people who more or less have trivial connection to one another. Literally a slice of life (the story happened in 7 hours!) set in the bewitching hours in Tokyo (after dark) where ordinary ones ought to be sleeping. These people have their own reasons to be awake from plain nature of job to escape of his cruel reality. Murakami works seem to deal with self discovery which I really love since I get to discover part of myself along the way. But I have to admit that I tend to get lost whenever he’d inject surrealism in the story. I have to admit that I’m slow getting their connection with the plot despite the fact that I am a Psychology graduate. But nevertheless I enjoy reading Murakami novels. I am really compelled to read his other works which might be good or bad for a no discipline when it comes to money like me. Oh well, it’s ironic though that despite Murakami being a Japanese, he barely depict Japanese culture in his works (as of 2 books I’ve read) since he’s greatly influenced by Western literature. It’s very apparent that he’s an English jazz fan, he never failed to put it as background music whenever feasible, be it residential homes, coffee shop (not unusual), convenience store, and even love hotels (aka motel). But anyway I highly recommend this partly feel-good partly analytic novel especially to creatures of the night like me! Hmmm… I suddenly miss spending the night at Starbucks.

No comments: