Monday, September 15, 2008

back and ugh!

Now that I finally have time back in my little hands, I suddenly can’t think of anything to talk about. Except that just now I hated my older sister, Pipay, for being such a KJ for changing the radio station and tuned to something that plays contemporary music. C’mon, it’s Sunday afternoon and it ought to be 70’s! And that my brother Oli keeps looking at my monitor. Damn, don’t you hate it when somebody is reading every single word that comes out of your mind? I mean I don’t mind my siblings reading my blog but not when I’m on the process of generating thoughts. It’s annoying that I have to minimize the window whenever he’s at my back!

But anyway, the last weeks were indeed busy for me but it was also a blast that I didn’t notice that Christmas is around the corner… AGAIN! Christmas used to be exciting when I was younger, but now I felt like it’s the time to burn a (BIG) hole in my pocket –sigh- . But it can’t be helped. I loved the feeling of looking forward for presents and celebrating when I was a kid so why won’t I let the kids in my family feel it. After all, I have all the things to be thanked for – a healthy and intact family. AMEN. Money is just a thing that comes, goes and don't worry because it keeps coming back. The smile of a child for this important time of the year is much more important and priceless.
Mom: so why don’t you give your toys to your nephews this Christmas?
Kid: NO! That’s a different issue!!!


Events reports:

The latest one I went to was the 29th Manila International Book Fair. It’s my 4th time in the country’s biggest book fair. Ever since my first attendance I made a pledge to attend every year not because I love books, but because I’m cheap. I’m just after shopping for (good) bargain books and comics which takes less than 2 hours. They have a long program of activities which I never attended because I’m not really onto it.

This year, what do you know, they included cosplay contest and lecture in the program. When I learned of it, all I could ever say in a flat voice was “wow”. My feelings for cosplay have become neutral. I’m still interested in dressing up as an anime character in the future, but I am more than content to be just a spectator by now.

Back to the book fair, aside from manga shopping, what makes this event worth coming are the free bookmarks by exhibitors. I have big use for them I swear. At the SMX lobby, they exhibited popular characters of Philippine literature like Ibong Adarna, Juan Tamad, Tipaklong and Langgam, etc. made of rubber. There are some characters that I didn’t recognize and I suppose that they are from new stories. They are cute though. Too bad my camera is not in good condition anymore. I wish next time there’d be classic komiks on sale, that’d make me feel that “hey, it’s a Phil. Lit. event”.

Eraserheads Reunion Concert:
Okay, I know this is a super late post-facto, but hey, can I say that it’s one of the best concerts I’ve ever been. Honestly, the performance of the group is nothing special to me. In fact, at the onset of the show, it was all over Ely’s face that he’s exhausted and not feeling well. I’m sure a lot of people noticed that. Still I applaud because despite the stress, he still pulled it off. The level of excitement of the people was really moving, it penetrated my bones. The concert was cut short but I do not regret coming. Who knows it might be the last concert of the BEST PINOY BAND ever. The group is very positive for a 2nd round, but will Ely’s medical condition allow it? I’m not being pessimistic here or anything, I just know that heart illness is not something to be taken lightly. Suppose a repeat does happen, I’d still go. My only frustration is that they haven’t performed some of my favorite songs –Maselang Bahaghari, Ang Huling El Bimbo, Magasin, Hard to Believe, Spolarium, Para Sa Masa, Minsan, Tindahan Ni Aling Nena –sigh-
And yeah, I was in the general admission section and we can only rely on big screens to see what's really happening on the stage. But hell, hearing the live performance is enough...
Plays...
I watched an Asian version of Tosca - a Puccini Opera, at PETA Theater last August 29. It's a collaboration of PETA, Black Tent Japan and Nottle Korea. Whenever I'd see operas in movies, they seem old (of course, duh!) and... boring. But I never thought it could be really engaging in live performance or maybe it was because of the modifications -they injected some humor, current issues, pop culture to make it more relevant to Asian audience. I am looking forward to seeing more stage plays, if only it'll be a little cheap.
----
And the other things that made me busy... ugh! I'm back to hikkikomori mode...that's all

No comments: